UTA Social Media Best Practices
The primary platforms currently used by UTA are:
A full list of social media accounts representing campus organizations can be found here: uta.edu/social.
Don’t see your organization or wish to start a new social media account for a campus organization or department?
Before creating a new channel, please be aware of the time commitment and workload this takes. Channels that are inactive for over 6 months will be taken down from the full list above.
For any questions please email: Erika.Fox@uta.edu
See Full Guidelines
- Profile pictures should identify your department and use proper university logos and marks.
- Always refer to UTA as UTA or The University of Texas at Arlington.
- Please use the correct university-approved name of your organization. See editorial guidelines.
- Graphics should follow brand guidelines. Do not alter logos or university colors.
All posts must be accessible for those who need it.
- Utilize Alt Text on the various platforms to describe photos and graphics.
- Captions need to be added to videos with speaking.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
While UTA supports freedom of speech and users’ rights to comment and offer differing points of views on our social media channels, the University reserves the right to remove comments in order to protect our community’s privacy, safety, or well-being. Inappropriate material, hate speech, threatening language or harassment may be removed and/or the participant blocked from additional postings on University-hosted social media sites.
Please utilize discretion when removing comments. Comments that do not fall under the above criteria should not be removed.
If a situation arises that you feel needs to be known at the University Advancement level, please email Erika.Fox@uta.edu.
Official university accounts are posting on behalf of UTA. Any posts, shares, retweets or likes will be seen as an official university endorsement. You may not use the University’s name to promote or endorse any product, cause, or political party or candidate.
Please exercise extreme caution when sharing material on social media channels.
Working with third parties: Entities associated with or working on behalf of The University of Texas at Arlington must also follow these guidelines, including disclosing their institutional affiliation.
If you have any questions on the content of a post, please email: Erika.Fox@uta.edu
- Don’t make password easily guessable and change it frequently.
- Limit how many users have access to the accounts and passwords.
- Do not give out any personal information such as phone number, email or address of a student.
Social media usage at UTA is governed by the same policies that govern all other forms of communication including:
- Information Resources acceptable use policy
- Computer usage policy
- Graphic identity standards
- Web publishing policies
- Web accessibility policies
- Conflicts of Interest policy
- Internet security policies
- Students rights to expression
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
- United States Copyright Office
Additionally, external vendor advertisements are prohibited on UTA websites and social media sites (with the exception of Athletics, through their media rights provider ISP). Users of social media must also be knowledgeable of and abide by the policies of the social media provider. Please refer to each social media site for their usage policies.
Contacts and Resources
UTA departments and programs utilizing social media are asked to work with University Advancement to promote your efforts, engage in mutual information-sharing, and help maximize your results.
For general information and assistance, please contact:
Social Media Manager
To request assistance in designing customized social media icons or to report inappropriate behavior on any UTA-managed social media sites contact University Advancement.