Dissertation Fellowship Selection Process
In nominating a student, the nominee, Supervising Professor, and Graduate Advisor indicate that they believe the nominee meets all requirements and agree that the proposed completion timeline is sensible and feasible. The Supervising Professor also agrees to carefully monitor the nominee’s progress with the intent of assuring that the nominee will be making appropriate progress toward completing the degree by the anticipated graduation date. The complete nomination packet must be sent to college or school selection committees; applications sent directly to the graduate school will not be considered.
The packet must include:
2. Copy of dissertation proposal - Prospective Fellowship nominees must submit a copy of their dissertation proposal as it was approved by their supervising committee.
3. Memo of support from Supervising Professor - A memo from the nominee’s Supervising Professor, describing the merits of the proposal, listing the names of all committee members and attesting that the proposal has been approved by a properly-constituted dissertation committee is required. The memo should include the supervising professor’s assessment of the following:
- The quality of the student’s scholarship
- The quality of the student’s writing skills
- The ability of the student to manage time effectively and work independently to meet deadlines
- Any other appropriate factors that denote excellence and likelihood of completing the dissertation within the proposed completion timeline
- The importance/impact of the subject of the dissertation
4. Completion Schedule - Prospective Fellowship nominees must submit a timeline for completing their dissertation, showing estimated dates by which sub-tasks will be completed and the planned date of graduation. This timeline must be reviewed and approved in writing by the Supervising Professor.
5. Additional materials may be required by the College/School selection committee - Students should contact their Graduate Advisor for additional requirements deadlines.
Selection of Fellows by Colleges and Schools
1) The college or school selection committee will evaluate all nomination materials and select nominees and alternates as indicated on the current call for nominations. These nominees must be ranked according to their relative strengths and the likelihood that they will graduate. The graduate school will review nominees submitted by the College or School selection committees and make the final funding decision. Higher ranked nominees will receive first consideration.
2) The College or School selection committee will submit PDF copies of their nominees’ forms and other supporting materials to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5:00 p.m. CST on Friday, April 14, 2023.