Grants and Contracts Services
New Facility and Administration Rate Agreement
UT Arlington has recently completed the federal negotiation of a new Facility and Administration (F&A) Rate Agreement.
The new rate agreement is effective 9/19/2022 and will be applicable to any new or renewing proposals submitted. Existing awards or continuations to existing awards will retain the indirect rate in place for the award over the life of the project.
The new indirect rates in effect now and to be incorporated in new proposals are as follows:
- 54.5% for on-campus research until 8/31/23, increases to 56% on 9/1/23
- 52% for instruction
- 35% for other sponsored activities
- 26% off-campus rate for all sponsored projects (where rent is specifically allocated as a direct cost)
Increase for on-campus research
This indirect rate agreement contains an incremental increase for on-campus research that will come into effect 09/01/2023. At that time, it will increase from 54.5% to 56%. Pre-award staff in the Office of Grants and Contracts Services will work with PIs to assist with the calculation of two different F&A rates within one project budget as applicable.
Other sponsored activities
The other sponsored activites rate is set at 35% and includes:
- public service projects, such as sponsored health and/or community service projects, legal clinics and public information services;
- contract for service activities, such as material testing agreements without a research component/analysis;
- curriculum development awards and dissertation awards; and
- sponsored symposia, seminars and conferences. Investigators should consult with the Office of Grants and Contracts Services to determine which rate is appropriate given the nature and location of the proposed activity.
All rates are based on modified total direct costs.
These rates will help the University to more fully recover the costs and investments of sponsored project activities, as well as provide added flexibility to apply rates to different types of projects.
For questions concerning how these rates apply to your contracts and grants, contact a pre-award specialist at email@example.com. For questions on how F&A rates are determined or the rate agreement itself, contact Jeremy Forsberg, assistant vice president for research at firstname.lastname@example.org or 817-272-3657.
University of Texas at Arlington Research Administration Center for Innovation Bldg 202 East Border Street Arlington, TX 76010-0145
University of Texas at Arlington Grants & Contract Services Box: 19145 Arlington, TX 76010-0145