Student Affairs Resources
Student Affairs Marketing Material Guidelines
FOR STUDENT AFFAIRS STAFF AND STUDENTS
Please read below for more information on the marketing material approval process and also for information on logos, color usage, apparel design, and printing. The guidelines below are in regards to the design and printing of marketing materials that are created in-house, by professional or student staff members within the Division of Student Affairs.
Click here to see the most recent list of approved vendors. Search “Arlington”. Click View. Open the PDF. You must use one of these vendors to print any of your apparel, promotional item, etc. orders.
All questions regarding the marketing guidelines should be directed to the VPSA Office marketing contacts:
Associate Director, Communications
If you come upon a need for the creation of a large-scale marketing piece like a workbook, guidebook, calendar, brochure, video, website or an entire marketing campaign, please contact the VPSA Office who will put you into touch with University Advancement. Please remember to give University Advancement ample time to work through the concept creation, design and approval process. Additionally Creative Services under the department of student publications.
REVIEW PROCESS FOR ALL MARKETING MATERIALS
All marketing materials, which are created for a department or student group, which is advised and funded by the Division of Student Affairs, need to be submitted to the VPSA Office marketing contacts for approval to be printed. Please allow at least five (5) business days for the material to be reviewed and approved. All marketing materials that are created must include the appropriate logos, follow the color guidelines and be printed by a university-approved vendor (if the job is not printed in-house).
MARKETING MATERIAL RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ADVISED AND FUNDED STUDENT GROUPS - PURCHASING MATERIALS/APPAREL/PROMO ITEMS WITH THEIR OWN FUNDS
If you are printing any kind of marketing material (flyers, t-shirts, promo items, etc.) for your student group, which is advised and funded by a department within The Division of Student Affairs (Greek chapters, sport clubs, student organizations, etc.) but you are paying for the material from your own funds:
It is required that:
- If you are using any of the official university logos or marks on your materials, that the placement and colors of the logos coincide with the UTA Identity Guidelines. None of the logos or marks may be altered. Also, the logos must always be printed in full color (blue, orange and white) or in all blue, all white, all orange or all black. Questions from student groups that are advised and funded by the DSA regarding logo usage should be directed towards the VPSA office.
It is highly recommended that:
- The university name be included on the material by writing out The University of Texas at Arlington or UTA. If you are just writing out the text and not using an official UTA logo, it's not required that the lettering stay in the primary colors of blue, orange or white.
- The colors blue, orange and white be incorporated into the design of the material or the material itself be blue, orange or white.
- Your departmental name be included on the material (ex: Fraternity and Sorority Life, Student Governance and Organizations, etc.)
Student Affairs departments and student groups, which are advised and funded by the Division of Student Affairs may use the institutional logos on their marketing materials. Please visit uta.edu/ucomm/identity to review the University Communications logo guidelines and to access the files. Each logo and or mascot mark has its own set of guidelines. Be sure to review and follow all of the guidelines for each file before using it on your materials. Please note:
- You must have a valid NET ID to access and download the files.
- You may not alter any of the logos or mascot marks in any way.
- You may not combine any of the logos or mascot marks with any other artwork.
- The logomarks and mascot marks are available in different color versions. Please use the color version on your marketing material that allows for the logo/mark to be the clearest and most visible that it can be on your material. An example would be if you are printing a blue poster or a blue polo shirt, download and use the 'reversed' or white version of the logo.
- When using any of the UTA logomarks, make sure that the star in the center is always beveled.
All Student Affairs departments must include their university-made logo on their marketing materials. Please contact the VPSA marketing contacts or your supervisor for a copy of the logos. If you have questions about the departmental logo usage on apparel, please see the apparel section on this page.
Student Group Logos
Student groups, which are advised and funded by the Division of Student Affairs may use their own unique student group logos on their print marketing materials. When including a student group logo, there are several important items to remember:
- Marketing materials that will be brought off-campus need to include one of the university-made logos (one that incorporates the entire university name). Please visit uta.edu/ucomm/identity to review the University Communications logo guidelines and to access the files.
- Student group logos that do not include text within the artwork that says 'A Program of the Division of Student Affairs' or 'Division of Student Affairs' will need to incorporate this Divisional text within the marketing material.
- Contact the VPSA Office to refresh or alter your student group logo.
Currently, event or programmatic logos are not to be used (an example is a logo for a large university event like Homecoming or Parent & Family Weekend). Artwork to brand the event may be used in addition to including a departmental or student group logo on the marketing material. If not included in the student group logo, please include one of the UT Arlington logos that includes the logo and university name text. Also, remember to incorporate 'A Program of the Division of Student Affairs' or 'Division of Student Affairs' text on the material.
The athletics/spirit logo is no longer to be used by any Student Affairs department, program or funded student organization. All marketing materials or promotional items with the spirit logo may be used until the items run out but do not order more. For alternative logo options, please contact the VPSA office.
All print marketing materials, which are made for Student Affairs events for students must include the accommodations line of text. This text can be typed out and included on the bottom of your piece of print material.
The text is as follows: If you need accommodations to participate, please contact the [insert department/program name] at [insert phone number] or [insert email address] at least five days prior to the event date.
STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS APPROVAL
All marketing materials, which are posted on campus need to be stamped and approved by Student Organizations. Flyers (8.5x11 or 11x17) need to have a 2" x 2" white box in the bottom right corner of the flyer. This is for Student Organizations to stamp your material. Student Organizations allows departments to post up to 50 flyers per event on campus. For questions, contact Student Organizations at 817-272-2293 or visit their office at:
The University of Texas at Arlington
300 West 1st Street, Suite B150
Arlington, TX 76019
Color Usage for Print Materials
When creating marketing materials for signature UTA events including the Bed Races, Welcome Week, Homecoming, and The Big Event, make sure that print materials are primarily blue, white, and orange. For exact information on the UT Arlington colors, please visit uta.edu/ucomm/identityto view the color guidelines. For marketing materials for non-signature events, departments/student groups are welcome to incorporate other colors into the design as long as blue, white, and orange are woven in.
Color Usage for Apparel
Please see the apparel section for color information.
The VPSA Office has an online archive of photographs for you to use in your marketing materials. If you would like to incorporate photographs into your piece, please contact the VPSA Office or you can use the UTA Publications Photo Gallery.
If your department would like for a staff photographer to come out and photograph your event, please us the project request form.
All apparel that is designed by any Student Affairs department and advised and funded student group, must be submitted for review and approval by the VPSA Office. Please note that ALL apparel must include either your university-made departmental logo or one of the university-made logos, which incorporates the entire university name. All apparel also must incorporate the 'Division of Student Affairs' or 'A Program of the Division of Student Affairs' line of text. This can be accomplished by using your university-made departmental logo or by including the line of text on the apparel design.
Please read below for additional guidelines:
It is recommended that student group shirts incorporate both the student group mark and departmental logo on the shirt. Event t-shirts for signature UTA events (Bed Races, Welcome Week, Parent & Family Weekend, Oozeball, Homecoming, The Big Event), must be blue, white or orange. T-shirts for smaller university events may use other colors but still need to incorporate blue, white and orange.
Student Staff T-Shirts/Polos/Professional Apparel
Departmental logos must be included on all student staff apparel. Student group logos may be used on student staff shirts only. Professional staff may not wear student staff apparel with student group logos as professional apparel. The shirts must incorporate the UTA logomark, text and also the Division of Student Affairs line of text. All student staff t-shirts must be blue, white or orange. For exact information on the UT Arlington colors, please visit uta.edu/ucomm/identity to view the color guidelines. Please remember to use the version/color of your departmental or university logo that will appear the clearest/most visible on your apparel. An example would be that a blue t-shirt should use the reversed or white version of the logo. Different color versions can be downloaded on the Identity Guidelines website.
Departmental logos must be included on all professional apparel for professional staff members within the Division of Student Affairs. The departmental logo that is used on the material should include: the university wordmark and the departmental name. The Division of Student Affairs line of text should also be included on all professional apparel. The line of text can be included on the sleeve or on the back of the shirt.
All professional apparel (polo shirts, button-up shirts, sweaters) must be blue, white or orange. In some cases, you may print apparel in neutral colors (tan, black or gray). Please check with the VPSA office to see if your order qualifies.
The Student Affairs table cloth design was refreshed in the spring of 2010. Departmental cloths that were ordered during that time should continue to be used. If departments have not placed a new order since the spring of 2010, please contact the VPSA Office for additional information. We have a specific vendor in addition to design and color guidelines.
EMAILS, NEWSLETTERS, BULLETINS
When creating a new email or newsletter that is designed via Constant Contact or another program for a department or student group, the VPSA office will need to review and approve the template and first email. After the first email is sent out, the emails will not need to be approved. Please remember to give the VPSA office at least five (5) days to approve the email.
VIDEOS AND WEBSITE CHANGES
Please remember that ALL videos and major changes to any website pages must be sent to the VPSA Office to be reviewed and approved. If you do not have access to Cascade (our website content management system), please contact the VPSA Office for access.
When creating departmental videos please remember the following:
- Make sure that your video depicts your department in a positive light.
- Incorporate positive photos and also use text along with facts and figures that shows the social, service, and academic reach of your programming.
- Include the University name in your video, along with your departmental logo. The University name can be included by writing out the text or by including one of the UTA logos that can be found on the identity guidelines website.
- Incorporate blue, orange, and white into the video design.
- Use only high resolution/quality photos.
- Select music tastefully. UTA has a blanket music license that extends throughout campus. If the video uses music by a national recording artist, the video cannot be posted on your website or on any kind of video uploading program like YouTube. The video can only be shown on campus. To post the video to the web, please visit the Digital Media Studio on campus to upload generic music to use for your video.
Promotional Items for Giveaway
When printing promotional items for giveaway (cups, t-shirts, buttons, hats, magnets, binders), please remember to first submit your design for review and approval by the VPSA Office. After it is approved, the item may be item printed by any of the vendors who have a restricted or standard license with UT Arlington. Since you are not re-selling the item, either type of vendor is allowed to print.
To view the most current list of approved vendors, please view the Office of Trademark Licensing website, https://trademarks.utexas.edu/. Look for UTA under Academic Campuses and then select the Standard Licensees-Contact Info PDF. For questions, please contact the VPSA Office. For licensing questions, please contact University Communications at 817-272-1299.
Printing for Resale
When printing promotional items for resale (t-shirts, tumblers, sun shades), please first make sure to send a copy of the design of the item to the VPSA Office to be approved. The item must be printed by a vendor who has a standard license with the university. To view the most current list of approved vendors, please view the Office of Trademark Licensing website. Look for UT Arlington under Academic Campuses and then select the Standard Licensees-Contact Info PDF. Once in the PDF, look for vendors under the standard license category.
- The vendor that is selected will charge an additional royalty fee. Please ask the vendor about the fee, which cannot be more than 8%. Some vendors will add the royalty fee on as an extra charge and others will incorporate this into the price quote.
- Departments must collect 8% sales tax (city and state tax) on all items that are resold. Please contact the VPSA Office for information on this. There are specific guidelines on collecting the tax and also guidelines on how the funds should be deposited into your account.
Printing for Display on Campus
Posters and Flyers
Departments and student groups that have a high quality office printer are welcome to print materials in-house as long as the printed materials are clear and crisp and all aspects of the design are visible, including all logos. For large print jobs, please use an outside printing company of your choice.
All postcards should be printed and mailed out of house. For recommendations on printers, please contact the VPSA Office.
Standing Banners and Event Signage
All standing banners and event signage should be printed through a vendor of your selection. Please call the vendor for a quote before printing and remember to send your design to the VPSA office to be reviewed and approved.
Please remember that in accordance with the new sustainability guidelines, university departments are no longer allowed to print flyers, postcards and invitations to be interoffice mailed on campus. It is recommended that you send your message to be included in the MavWire newsletter (if all faculty and staff are invited) or if your message is going to a small and specific audience, creating a JPG or PDF of your artwork to be emailed out to your contacts. If you have a special circumstance, please contact the VPSA office.